Thursday, April 24, 2008

And in a Moment...

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Skimming through emails this a.m., I saw this one a friend had written me on the 23rd:

...And in a moment everything changes.

Whatever we can do from the Athens home-front, know we are aching to do it. I have had a vision about your first-born...and it is, in no small measure, heavily influenced by the "Kim Arnold Factor." Katherine has far too much living ahead of her to be slowed down very long by this one. All our hopes and dreams for her return to the people who love her, and to those who love her desperately, are with you. Let me know when I can come to L.A. and spell you at the bedside.

Forever yours, my friend...

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 8:30 PM, Kimberly Arnold (kta2754@gmail.com) had written:

Darling,

Malheuresment, we have an out-of-town Merrill function; but if we get back early enough, I will be there with bells on my fingers and rings on my toes to celebrate your sexy septuaginting(??)....God willing!!! Can't wait for you to join the HGM* club, by the way.........when is yours due?? (I forgot, due to old age.)

Also forgot the date of Book Club...have I missed the 'Cholera' explication/extrapolation? (Am reading it regardless.)

XOXOXO,
Kim (aka "Mimi, Vivi, Kiki, ETC.)

(* HOT GRAND MOTHERS club)


*********

Obviously, my original email was an RSVP to a friend’s birthday party.

How very true her words are: “And in a moment...” What parties must have been in full progress at Pompei when Vesuvius erupted! I am reminded of that scripture that goes something like, "And when the Son of Man comes, there will be eating and drinking, buying and selling, marrying and being given in marriage..." And in a moment everything changes forever.

Sunday evening’s sassy email is from another life. Less than 24 hours later, we began our existence in a place called the ‘New Normal.’ But I am strangely comforted to note that I had inserted the caveat “God willing” in my response. God’s will was not that we would be at a Merrill function or a birthday party this weekend. It is His will that we are here. Thank God that the trials of the past few years have convinced me beyond a doubt that everything He wills somehow springs out of His perfect love, which is now casting out fear.

Yesterday was grim until very late in the day, when He came through yet again. At one point I was alone in ICU with Kat, trying to keep those horror show pictures of ‘brain damaged’ people out of my mind. I didn’t have much spunk to pray, so I just started reciting any scriptures I could remember. (I always meant to memorize more for “such a time as this.” Do it, my friends!) I was a little surprised (as was the janitor, I’m sure) to hear this one come out of my mouth: “Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For these light and momentary trials are winning for us a glory that far outweighs them all...” As my friend Lynn reminds me when I’m venting, “It’s only temporary.” I must continuously remind myself that, contrary to what is seen, Katherine is being covered in glory by these ‘momentary’ trials.

Thank you for your consistent prayer, which truly is changing things. I don’t want to take the focus off of Katherine’s healing for a moment, but if anyone feels led to, I could use some prayer for my neck/back/general health, all of which are starting to worsen. My right shoulder pain is getting severe and beginning to interfere with holding the chunky not-so-little monkey. Thank you in advance, as I know you are faithful friends.

Love to you all,

Kim

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Kim,
I teared up immediately reading your latest post. Katherine and I had that very scripture - 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 - hanging on the wall in our dorm room freshman year at Samford. I still have a copy printed on cheerful daisy stationary from all those years ago. I have never forgotten it and pray it often. I think it's no small coincidence that it came to mind and has brought you comfort. You and yours are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. I love you.

DeLauné

Anonymous said...

Dear Kim and Brooks,
Jay and I are thinking and praying for you constantly, especially Katherine. I head to the computer every hour to see if there are any updates, any light at the end of this dark dark tunnel.
There has been... and will be more glimmers of light and hope.
I have to tell you sweet story...
The day Katherine and Jay were married, we were having lunch downstairs at the ACC. I was leading my 3 year old daughter, Liza, to the rest room and Katherine and her bmaids were at the foot of the stairs ready to head up to the reception.
Liza took one look at Katherine and stopped in her tracks. She said, "Mommy, look at the beautiful princess." Of course all of the girls had a fit.
It was so sweet...I explained to Liza that she is just as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside.
You and Brooks should be very proud of yourselves for raising such 3 wonderful girls.
Take care of yourselves...
Doree Boswell

Travis & Jeri Tidmore said...

Hi Kim. We met (again) at the hospital earlier today. you all are the very definition of God's strength right now, as I am sure it is not your own that you portrayed earlier. We are praying constantly for sweet Katherine, and know that God will use this in her life for her to do great things. We miss her sweet smile around here (at Pepperdine) and look forward to seeing it again soon!

God Bless!

jeri

Dera Weaver said...

Kim, I just found your blog--I'm sort of slow to adapt to all this technological whiz-bangery that our kids navigate with such ease--and aren't we grateful for that at times like this!

Anyway, I just sent a message to you and Brooks through Amie's Facebook page, and I hope she'll pass it on to you--all of us here in Athens are with you in some way, and I know you can feel it.

Love,
Dera